Here are some interesting buildings and places to look out for on your visit to Hunstanton.

Coastguard Lookout TowerCoastguard lookout tower

Built in 1907, it was a Marconi listening post in both World Wars, and is now a private residence. Location: On the cliffs at St Edmund's Point.



Cross on the GreenCross on the Green

Origins unknown, but thought to have been brought from the green in Old Hunstanton at the time when the Golden Lion Hotel was built in 1846. It may once have been the old village cross from Snettisham. Location: The Green, Hunstanton.

Flood Memorial

Lists the names of the 31 people who died in the east coast floods of 1953. 16 of the victims were resident American airforce men and their families. The deaths occurred in South Beach Road, Hunstanton to the south of the fairground. Location: Esplanade Gardens.

Golden Lion Hotel

Opened in 1846 and originally named The New Inn, this was the town's first building. See also Golden Lion Hotel. Location: The Green, Hunstanton.


Hunstanton Lighthouse

The present lighthouse was built in 1840 and ceased operations in 1922, since when it has been a private residence. A lighthouse has been on the site since 1665 and the world's first parabolic reflector was built there in 1776. Location: On the cliffs at St Edmund's Point.

Railway Station Site (now a Car Park)Hunstanton railway station

The railway came to Hunstanton in 1862 and brought many thousands of visitors, triggering a rapid expansion of the town. The line ran from Kings Lynn and had the 'royal station' at Wolferton. It closed in 1969. Location: Car park alongside Le Strange Terrace.

ShipwreckWreck of the Sheraton

Built in 1907, the Sheraton started life as a trawler but was later moored on the Lincolnshire side of the Wash to be used as a target ship. In 1947 she broke free from her mooring in a gale and drifted on to the beach at Hunstanton. The ship was sold to scrap dealers and now only a section of the hull remains. Location: Beneath the cliffs at St Edmund's Point.

St Edmund's Church

This was built in 1866 and is dedicated to Edmund, King of East Anglia (see above). The church contains nine windows depicting his life. Location: Church Street, Hunstanton.

St Edmund's ChapelSt Edmund's Chapel

The chapel, now in ruins, was erected in 1272 in memory of St Edmund who landed at Hunstanton in 855 to be crowned King of East Anglia. He led an army against Viking invaders but was defeated, captured and martyred. He became the first patron saint of England. Location: On the cliffs at St Edmund's Point.


St Mary's ChurchSt Mary's Church, Old Hunstanton

Built in the 14th century and restored in the 19th century, the church has a Norman font and a roof made from oaks grown on the le Strange estate. Location: Church Road, Old Hunstanton.

Town HallTown Hall

Built in 1896, the Hunstanton town council meets on the first floor, while the Tourist Information Centre occupies the ground floor. The hall at the rear hosts frequent antique & craft fairs, and other social events. Location: The Green, Hunstanton.

Statue of Henry Styleman Le StrangeStatue of Henry Styleman Le Strange on Hunstanton Green

Henry Styleman Le Strange (1815-1862) founded Hunstanton with his plan for a coastal holiday village on his estate between Old Hunstanton and Heacham. The first building was the Golden Lion Hotel in 1846. The statue of Le Strange stands in front of the Golden Lion Hotel and the Town Hall on the Green.

Water Tower

Originally Heacham's (not Hunstanton's) water tower, this was converted into flats in 1984. Location: Top of Redgate Hill.

Hunstanton Heritage Plaques

Hunstanton Heritage Plaques are on buildings and sites of interest in Hunstanton and Old Hunstanton. The plaques, inscribed with the historical relevance of each site, were placed by Hunstanton Civic Society. A leaflet listing the sites and showing their locations is available from the Tourist Information Office. The table below lists the locations of heritage plaques.

Town Hall

Glebe House School

Golden Lion

First Shelter on Cliffs

Marine Hotel


Ashley House

Coastguard Lookout

1 & 2 Hill Street

Le Strange Arms Hotel

Smithdon High School

The Old Boathouse Cafe


Old Hunstanton Shop and Post Office

Council Offices

Lodge Hotel

Infant School

Neptune Inn

11 James Street

Caley Hall

Valentine Road Flats

Neptune Gallery (Old Hunstanton School)

The Gables

Duckpond Cottage

28 Victoria Avenue



Arnott, Ken. 2000. Hunstanton The Story of a Small Norfolk Seaside Resort. Witley Press, Hunstanton.

Hunstanton Civic Society. Heritage Trails. Available from the Tourist Information Office.

Hunstanton Civic Society. Heritage Plaque Walk. Available from the Tourist Information Office.